.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I loved her.... Grandma

I loved her..... tears fall as I write this. Its not that she didn't have a long, beautiful life. Its that I loved her. After all, she was my fathers mom. Nobody ever had a bad word to say about her.
I hold so many memories dear to my heart.

- Her teaching me how to sew. I was so proud, only to stand up, and realize that I had sewn the fabric to my pants. I was 6.
- Sleep overs with my cousin June. We slept in the spare bedroom where Grandpa had the big type writer, and we could hear his loud snores.
-Helping her make lunch for Grandpa, who was at the golf course all morning.
- I remember 6th grade when they came to my school for Grandparents day! I was so happy, even though it wasn't "cool" for your grandparents to come.
- Oh dear Grandma, I will never forget how you always adjusted my shirt. Making sure I had "the girls" covered.

Then there was our last visit with her. It was Mother's Day. 6 days before she passed away. She was alert. Uncle Ken said she had not been this way in days. She was dressed so beautiful. She had on a long stand of blue beads. She laughed with me, and chatted. I fed her dinner. "You gave me too much ice cream" were her last words to me. I helped her get comfy for a nap, and said my goodbyes.
It was the last goodbye. I loved her.
I have them now.



Agnes (nee VanHaitsma) Dornbush, age 98, of Jenison. After humbly serving God and His people throughout her long life, Agnes peacefully left this earth and greeted her Lord in heaven on Saturday, May 19, 2012. She was preceded in death by her husband, Ross Dornbush, in 2006; siblings, Anne and Joe Warners, Titus and Wilma VanHaitsma, Willis and Winona VanHaitsma; and in-laws, Ivan and Bette Dornbush. She is remembered with gratitude and love by her children, Sherwin and Joyce Dornbush of Holland, MI; Kenneth and Phyllis Dornbush of Jenison, MI; James and Connie Dornbush of Saline, MI; Roger and Edie Dornbush of Woodland, CA; 13 grandchildren; 18 great-grandchildren; and a special niece, Joanne Warners. Agnes was a charter member of Baldwin Street Christian Reformed Church in Jenison, and worked as a volunteer with Wycliffe Associates for many years. The family offers sincere thanks to the staff of Sunset Manor, Sunset Home Services, Brookcrest Nursing Home, Sheldon Meadows Assisted Living, and Faith Hospice for their compassionate care during Mom’s final year. Funeral services will be held Saturday 10:30 AM at Matthysse-Kuiper-DeGraaf Funeral Home, (Grandville) 4145 Chicago Drive, with Pastor Jerry VanGroningen officiating. Interment at Grandville Cemetery. Agnes’ family will greet relatives and friends at the funeral home on Friday from 4 to 8 PM. Memorial contributions may be made to Wycliffe Associates or Jenison Christian School Foundation.


    That day.... I gave her a piece of my heart. Until we meet again!





          I was lucky to get some of her jewlery and her jewlery box.




I also got her and Grandpas special bible.
Tuck in the front cover was The Heidelberg Catechism Q & A Sheet.


1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

Oh, Holly, I just now read this. What a beautiful memory! I love the beads and I love how you said Grandma always adjusted your shirt-- ha ha; I didn't know that.